History of the wine-growing estate Kreuzberg in Dernau in the ahr valley

History

The wine-growing estate of H.J. Kreuzberg was founded in 1953 by Hermann-Josef Kreuzberg Sr. – who was at the time the general manager of the Wine-Grower’s Association of Dernau.

In the estate’s second generation, “Jupp” headed the business for over 40 years together with his wife, Maria, his sister, Angela and his brother-in-law, Johannes. During this time they expanded the vineyards to an area of 3.5 hectares. Together they ran the estate’s own wine tavern, a meeting place for many guests and musicians from near and far.

In 1994, “Jupp” passed the business on to his son Ludwig. In 2000 the estate was accepted into the “VDP” – the graded wine estates association, which is a collection of approx. 200 of the best German wine-growing estates from all German wine regions.

In August 2003 we celebrated the 50th anniversary of our business with many of our friends and customers.

In the spring of 2005 the renovation of our “Schatzkammer” (treasure chamber) was completed. Wine tastings, office parties and special dinners with wine can be held in these comfortable and traditional surroundings.

In 2013 Frank Josten joined our management team. Today Ludwig Kreuzberg and Frank Josten co-manage the estate, which has grown to cover 9 hectares. They are responsible for the technology in the wine cellar, the vineyards and sales. The wine tavern is run by Sandra Kreuzberg, as is the neighbouring guest house.

Together with A. Schamaun, the estate’s cellarmaster, Ludwig and Frank know exactly how to lay the foundations for excellent wine – and this begins in the vineyards. A large proportion of the red wines are finished in old oak casks or Barriques.

Today, our business is one of the most renowned estates in the Ahr region and in one of the best 100 estates in Germany.